Message from Site Director(s)
Dear P.S. 498 Families and Community,
Welcome to the new home of Directions For Our Youth at P.S. 498 – we are excited for another school year and look forward to using this page to keep you updated on news, events, as well as shining the DFOY spotlight on parents, staff, or participants through the DFOY Agent of Change highlighted below. We also encourage you to follow DFOY on social media to see more content from our activities, along with other DFOY programs. Just click any of the social media icons on the top right of this page to follow DFOY!
This year we have many returning team members, along with new staff and new leadership who are excited to expand and improve program offerings for this academic year. So far, we have begun preparing activities surrounding our theme for the year, Endangered Species. Through these activities, we are focusing on the importance of bringing awareness to these animals and are planning on working towards making a difference through service learning projects. The DFOY team here at Van Nest Academy is committed to creating a space where all participants feel welcomed and are given a chance to express themselves.
We look forward to seeing familiar and new faces at our events and cannot wait to show off what we have in store this school year.
Please feel free to reach out at any time! We have included our contact information below and look forward to being in touch throughout the year.
- Director : Amelfis Rodriguez firstname.lastname@example.org DFOY Cell: 929-358-8991
- Program Support: Karla Silva Roldan email@example.com Office Phone: 718-409-3001 ext. 1102
Address: 1640 Bronxdale Ave, The Bronx, NY 10462
SUPPORT P.S. 498/ Van Nest Academy
We can post company information here.
For one of the Break Camp Days, where program is open although school is not in session, we hosted a Pajama Day. October 9th was National Bring Your Teddy Bear to School/Work Day, and since there was no school, we decided to make a fun day out of that Break Camp. Participants and staff were asked to come to program that day in their pajamas for a cozy day full of activities that included movies and a pajama fashion show.
We will have several more events this year; please check our calendar regularly!
Participants alongside Ms. Amber showing off their cool pajamas!
Third Graders Ethan, Khloe and Lia enjoying recreational time with Kindergartener Vianni.
- Oct 17th
- Lights On Afterschool Celebration: The Evolution of DFOY
- Nov TBA
- Thanksgiving Event / Culture Day
- Dec 12th
- End of Cycle
- Dec 20th
- Holidays Around the World
Agent of Change
Agent of Change
- We want to congratulate Ethan Ozoria from 4th grade for being named our most recent DFOY Agent of Change here at DFOY P.S.498! With the help of his Group Leader Ms. Amber, Ethan has come up with a ten year plan to continue his education and realizes his dream of being an NBA star. Ethan sure knows how to dream big, and this is why we have decided to celebrate him as our DFOY Agent of Change.